Featured Post

Introduction & The Hub

Hello and Welcome I'm Jay Winger, otherwise known as Jay 2K Winger, Jay 2K, and other variants. If you're reading this blog, you pro...

Monday, March 3, 2014

Introduction & The Hub

Hello and Welcome

I'm Jay Winger, otherwise known as Jay 2K Winger, Jay 2K, and other variants. If you're reading this blog, you probably already know who I am. If you don't, well, all that really needs to be said is I work in IT, doing service desk work, after doing my time in the trenches of retail hell.

For most of my life, I've had an imagination that won't switch off.  Sometimes I can get the images in my head out and on paper (or a computer screen, at least), sometimes I don't.  Most of the time, this is done in writing.  I've written fanfiction before-- some of which is still out there in the digital aether of the Internet-- and its quality can vary, and like many fanfic writers, it's often unfinished.

This blog is meant to be an outlet for some of the ideas and imagery and whatnot that comes into my head. It will often be unfinished, unpolished, and sometimes little more than notes or quotes or snippets of whatever goes through my head.  Sometimes it might just be me taking some notion from something I've seen or read and ... just playing with it, extrapolating ideas out of someone else's material.

You can leave comments if you want.  Constructive criticism is welcome.  Flames and insults are not.

Cheers.

UPDATE 2021

So the blog is approaching a hundred posts, of varying types. Some posts have been me world-building or putting ideas down, some posts have been me pseudo-pitching video game ideas, and quite a few have been related to Destiny, my favorite video game. So with that in mind, I'm going to pin this post and make it a hub for my various writing series on the blog.

WORLD BUILDING CHALLENGE: THE FIRMAMENT

Back in December 2020, I decided to take part in one of these creativity challenges. These frequently will turn up on social media platforms, intended for artists and writers to fulfill some prompt. On the r/WorldBuilding subreddit, a redditor named Faranesque posted a challenge to build out one's world for whatever purpose it was being made, be it for writing or game worlds, or whatever.

Combined with the notion of "space mythology" that I had seen online, I started working out details for a setting I've dubbed The Firmament. Rather than link all the posts I did for the challenge, I'm just going to link to the hub post for the challenge, which has links to all of the posts I managed.

I'm still working on The Firmament, but the intent is to actually publish it, e-book and hardcopy, when I get it done.

World Building Challenge: Hub Post

NON-ASSOCIATED SHORTS

While there are a lot of pieces I've written which are related to various subjects I'm a fan of, I've written a number of other short pieces which were part of unfinished works or from unrelated prompts.

GAMR DRIVL

Gamr Drivl is an occasional series I'll write where I'll pitch an idea for a video game, usually a new sequel to or reimagining of an existing game.

WRESTL DRIVL

Similar to Gamr Drivl, Wrestl Drivl is an occasional series I've written about pro wrestling, something else that tends to stick in my creative centers. It includes a sub-series called "Re-Booking," where I'll re-book a feud to make for a better story.

DESTINY

Bungie's online looter-shooter, Destiny and Destiny 2, has a well-developed and constantly evolving world and backstory which has always fascinated me. Frequently, I've found inspiration to write something Destiny-related after seeing one of their trailers for upcoming seasons of content or expansions.

The Wahei Transcripts

Wahei Ohr has her origins as a character in The Black Hole of Calcutta (see below), and then the story that replaced it, Not All Who Are Fallen Are Lost. NAWAFAL is sort of in its own universe, separate from the rest of my writings. But I wanted to keep using Wahei, with the backstory that I had developed for her.

The gist of The Wahei Transcripts is that Wahei's efforts to study and understand the Darkness have alarmed members of the Praxic Order, a sect of Guardians who fervently oppose the Darkness in all respects, including study of it. Most of the entries are presented as transcripts of conversations between various characters. Later on, I introduced another group of Guardians who are actively delving into Darkness and are going bad because of it.

The House of Dregs

The Eliksni are an alien race in Destiny, better known as 'The Fallen,' who have had a very difficult life. They had been visited by the Traveler and uplifted to a golden age, before it abandoned them and their civilization was destroyed by a cataclysm called 'The Whirlwind.' They fell to piracy and savagery to survive and pursued the Traveler to Earth. By the time of Destiny 2, and especially by Beyond Light, their once great Houses have been all but destroyed. This series follows a crew of Eliksni that deliberately refuse to join any remaining House and just want to get away from all of the fighting.

The Black Hole of Calcutta

One of my first Destiny writings was Part 1 of this now-abandoned fanfic. I got part-way through Part 3 when I realized I was getting too ambitious with some of the ideas for it, and abandoned the idea. I later cannibalized characters and concepts here and incorporated them into Not All Who Are Fallen Are Lost.

Lost Sector Lore

When Destiny 2 first dropped, one of the things that was missing was lore entries on the "lost sectors," hidden areas on the maps where a boss could be fought and a loot chest could be opened. In the first game, while there weren't lost sectors, something like them would have had an entry in the lore grimoire. There remains no given explanation for the lost sectors and their significance, so I started writing lore entries for some of them, usually giving backstory to the boss. 

Stasis Class Lore

When Destiny 2 Beyond Light was announced, it was revealed that the players would get access to a new ability called Stasis, an ice-like power derived from the Darkness. Later updates gave us the names and basic abilities of each class. I got inspired to write a possible lore tab for each one.

Random Bits

Just some random, un-associated Destiny pieces I've written, which aren't part of other series.

No comments:

Post a Comment