Featured Post

Introduction & The Hub

Hello and Welcome I'm Jay Winger, otherwise known as Jay 2K Winger, Jay 2K, and other variants. If you're reading this blog, you pro...

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Dec 2020 - World Building Challenge - Hub Post


 

As some of my readers may have deduced, especially from those who have read my Gamr Drivl posts, I do like to world-build. I may not always be going into intense detail on it, but I love to craft a setting. Some of my friends can attest to this as well, as I can take ideas others have posited and extrapolate and expand on them. My fellow 'brother of the quill' Allan Ironside has been known to run ideas past me, and my friend Chris (one of my cohosts on the Bored To Death Bingecast) and I have dabbled in some of it with regards to Assassin's Creed. (Mostly taking some ideas that I put out in a Gamr Drivl about the series and expanding some on it.)

Anyway, I started following the sub-reddit r/WorldBuilding, so I could see what other people were creating. While most of the posts feature more of the artistic side of things-- people showing off maps, or creatures, or 'typical attire of a nation' fashion pics-- I still find it fascinating. Then I saw a post late last month from a redditor called faranesque which was one of those "daily challenge" things for world building.

While I don't know if I'll get something specifically for each day, I do have a general concept I want to build out and explore. Readers of this very blog will probably see familiar names and characters showing up, suitably tweaked to fit the new setting I'm constructing, as well as adaptations of some concepts I've posted reappearing. All this will be combined with the idea of "space mythology."

To this end, I'm working on building out notions and concepts for a setting I'm calling The Firmament, a science-fantasy universe where the Stars themselves are akin to gods, and have created powerful 'demigods' in the Star-Born, who invariably become legendary figures in the tales and stories that fill the Firmament.

Expect this post to be repeatedly updated over the course of the month, to include links to posts for specific days. Some entries will be "cosmic," and explain how the Firmament works in some way, and fill in the background of it. Some will be more "local," and focus on a crew of vagabonds on a ship called the Rōnni as they transport a group of refugees to a safe port.

When the month is over, I'll be doing more work to re-organize things, weave a more coherent narrative together, and some of these pieces may be re-written for use in a proper story.

Day 1: Origin

Day 2: Weekend

Day 3: Technology 

Day 4: Heirloom

Day 5: Emblem

Day 6: Gods

Day 7: Ritual

Day 8: Secrets

Day 9: Rulers

Day 10: Ceremony

Day 11: Fairytale

Day 12: Pets

Day 13: Bazaar

Day 14: Monument

Day 15: Legends 

Day 16: Demons

Day 17: Funeral

Day 18: Subculture 

Day 19: The Poor

Day 20: Feast

Day 21: Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment